Monday, October 15, 2012

Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market haul

This weekend I finally made it to the Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market. It is one of four farmers' markets within walking distance of our new place. Unfortunately, all these nearby markets seem to have the same exact schedule: Saturday mornings from 9am to 1pm. (It's too bad they couldn't spread out the wealth of produce throughout the week.)

Located in Lamont Park, 3200 Mt. Pleasant Street, the Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market has the welcoming, less frenetic energy of small neighborhood farmers' market. For so late in the season, I was impressed with the number of local produce and fruit vendors. They also had some interesting food stands, including a bao (Chinese steamed buns) stand and Pleasant Pops, which I have yet to check out. My market haul this time included kale, collards, chard, bell peppers, hot peppers, heirloom tomatoes, apples, and pears.
I'm sure to return to this market, especially since it runs the longest. The market usually runs May to November, but this year has been extended to December 22nd. I also plan to visit my three other neighborhood markets before they end for the year. And I'm keen to return to the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market, DC's largest, year-round market, soon too. Luckily, that one is on Sunday mornings. However it requires a short bike or bus ride.

Sidenote: Mt. Pleasant Street also has some great Latino and Asian grocery stores worth exploring. I scored some dry beans, spices, and flax seeds. Great deals all, but they did detract from my produce hauling capacity.  

No comments: