Thursday, October 4, 2012

Flaxen Goddess Dressing

Nutritious in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, flax seeds are a staple in my kitchen. When I moved house, the flax seed bag was the first thing that I packed. I don't think I'll find flax seeds in DC at Baltimore prices ($3.29/lb!). Typically, I grind flax seeds and add the resulting powder to my morning smoothies. Or I use it to "fake an egg" in baking recipes.

Today I decided to experiment with ground flax seeds in a goddess salad dressing. Sadly, I had no flax oil in the kitchen. I also had no tamari or soy sauce, which most goddess dressing recipes require. (Clearly, I need to stock up on essentials.)

I'm calling the resulting, items-on-hand version, Flaxen Goddess Dressing. I used this popular and handy goddess dressing recipe as a guide.  If I make this recipe in the future, I will use flax oil instead of sesame oil.  

Here's a rough recipe:
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c tahini
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp stone ground mustard
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 c sesame oil
1/4 c olive oil

Process all ingredients in food processor until smooth.  For best emulsification results, slowly drizzle the oils in last, while the machine is running.  Makes about 2 cups.


No comments: