Friday, February 22, 2013

Six Shades of Red Soup

This isn't a Fifty Shades of Grey joke. At least, I hope not. Instead, "Six Shades of Red" is another alluring soup from Color Me Vegan. I still haven't been able to get my hands on this red hot cookbook, the February VegCookbook Club selection. It would be cool if my library stocked as many copies of this title as they do for the E. L. James bestseller. (I may just have to skip ahead to the Club's March pick, which has just been announced.)
Lucikly, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau posted this crimson soup recipe on her website. I changed things up slightly, substituting sweet potatoes for the red potatoes and white miso for red miso. Plus, I added some white mushrooms and white beans. (Both quickly turned pink.) I didn't have any vegetable juice on hand, so I opted for vegan bouillon instead. What a sweet, tasty soup this made! The miso at the end made it taste quite different from borscht. It's a vivid cure for winter doldrums.

No comments: