Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Coloring outside of the cookbook

My library hold for the VegCookbook Club's February pick, Color Me Vegan, still hasn't arrived. The library has two copies. However the first one went missing and the second is still checked out with another patron. It must be a popular cookbook!

Here is a colorful soup recipe that I found posted on Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's website to tide me over in the meantime.

Minestrone with Kale
Minestrone is one of my staple weeknight dinners and Colleen Patrick--Goudreau's version isn't too different from the soup that I usually improvise. The addition of kale gives the rainbow of colorful veggies a healthy green glow. I added green lentils here and doubled the tomatoes.

Some other items that I often add to my own minestrone include: mushrooms, peppers, quinoa, sweet potatoes, squash, and broccoli. And I usually load on the Italian spices: oregano, thyme, basil, etc. Plus some balsamic vinegar to taste. This version is clean and simple with just parsley and bay leaf.

No comments: