Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dandelion smoothie = sunshine in a glass

We have dandelions blooming outside our window, so spring is officially nigh. Inspired by the arrival of flowers, weeds, and rainy weather, I decided to invent a dandelion smoothie. I've been meaning to play around with herbal teas in my smoothies. Traditional Medicinals' organic Roasted Dandelion Root tea makes a subtle cold brew.
Whole Foods receipt detail
I also went to Whole Foods for some dandelion greens. Behold this crazy receipt (above), as the cashier mistakenly rang me up for 11 bunches! My sad confession is, it being Whole Paycheck, I didn't puzzle out the overcharge until I got home with my single bunch. (I figured the total was due to other high ticket grocery items in my basket, like vegan dental floss and ginger root.) When I went back to the store, the customer service staff graciously refunded my purchase and gifted me a second gratis bunch of greens. Dandy!

The tea-infused smoothie came out sweet and only mildy "earthy." You could also substitute spinach for dandelion greens. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

Dandelion Smoothie
Blend the following:
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup cold brew dandelion tea
  • 1/2 cup frozen mango
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • a good handful of dandelion greens
  • 1 tsp matcha
  • 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp amla powder (optional)
Serves 1.

No comments: