Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Baking for Vegan Brunch

Muffin close-up
Here are two recipes from The Bread Basket chapter of Vegan Brunch, the VegCookbook Club pick. Both involved firing up the oven. These may be some of the last items that I bake until fall. DC has such a brief springtime window that it'll probably be no time at all before the long hot and humid summer stretches before us. I do hope our next few club cookbooks have some raw recipes.  
Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Muffins 
These tropical muffins called for mango but I opted for the chocolate chip variation on the back page. The toasted shredded coconut perfumed my kitchen delightfully. The muffins came together easily after that key toasting step. The resulting muffins were nicely spiced with nutmeg and allspice. The white whole wheat flour also gave these muffins a sturdy texture and made them taste slightly wholesome while still being a sweet treat.  

Cornbread Biscuits
Another simple and quick baked good. I ended up halving the recipe and using white whole wheat flour (in addition to the cornmeal) for these biscuits as well. I added a little more liquid to compensate. And, of course, I had to add jalapeƱos, the suggested variation. In fact, I "forgot" to halve that step and made the biscuits extra peppery. This is a recipe I'll return to for sure. Sweet, spicy, and savory.

No comments: