Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pancakes and some salad dressings

We had a long holiday weekend in DC, with the Inauguration and MLK Day. So I made Crazy Sexy Kitchen pancakes and a few of the salad dressings, also from the January VegCookbook Club pick.
Cornmeal Banana Walnut Pancakes 
This recipe by guest chef Fran Costigan is great stuff. It's written in an engaging, almost conspiratorial fashion. "Don't worry,"Costigan advises as you flip the pancakes. So I didn't. And the pancakes turned out scrumptious. This is what I'd serve at an Inaugural Luncheon, instead of bison (yuck). Next time I make these, I'll also double the recipe and have more maple syrup on hand.
(From left) Basic Italian, Garlic Tahini, Miso-Citrus
Salad dressings
I've made of four of the salad dressings in the Dressings, Marinades, and Condiments chapter. The Basic Italian Dressing was sweet and slightly spicy. The Garlic Tahini Dressing was simple and straightforward. The Miso-Citrus Dressing was salty and orange juicy. But, by far, the Dijon Vinaigrette (below) is the the one I'm going to re-elect. I love Dijon mustard, so what's not to love about this garlicky, vinegary mustard dressing? Like the merch hawkers said down on the Mall yesterday, "Twice is Nice." I'm definitely making this dressing again and again.
Dijon Vinaigrette

No comments: