Friday, January 18, 2013

Madeira Peppercorn Tempeh and a Greensicle smoothie

I finally made a main course dish from Crazy Sexy Kitchen, the January VegCookbook Club selection. Plus another smoothie, as I attempt to complete that slim chapter.
Tempeh with side of Brussels Sprouts and mushrooms
Madeira Peppercorn Tempeh
This tempeh recipe is by guest chef Tal Ronnen. It was my first disappointing dish from this cookbook. This may have something to do with it being a level 2, "cheffy" dish and me being a level 1, beginner cook. The kombu broth worked out well. But the white flour coating gave the tempeh a gummy texture, totally opposite from the crispy, crunchy appearance that the accompanying photo suggests. Also, I didn't like the Earth Balance addition to the sauce at the end. It felt like cheating and added little flavor enhancement. The sauce, by the way, turned out an unappetizing lavender-hue. ("Like Kelly Osbourne's hair?" asked my Mom as she commiserated via phone.)


Greensicle Smoothie
This smoothie made up for the failed tempeh. It tasted like those orange Creamsicles, a post-swimming lesson reward in my childhood. I couldn't find yacón syrup at my natural food store but agave nectar was on special. I also skipped the romaine lettuce and went purely spinach for the greens. Almond milk, orange, and vanilla make up the creamy counterpoint to the leafy greens. A sweet, after-school treat. Join Team Smoothie, kids!

No comments: