Friday, August 31, 2012

Smoothie secret ingredient and a token sausage

Where did the summer go? This was a summer of smoothies for me. Generally my smoothies contain some of the following:
  • unsweetened vegan milk and water (equal parts) 
  • fruit (berries, bananas, mangos, etc.)
  • matcha powder
  • cinnamon
  • pomegranate seeds
  • flax seeds 
  • chia seeds
  • maca 
  • ginseng
  • greens
and now...
Amla powder is my new secret smoothie ingredient, which I ordered last week from Mountain Rose Herbs. (What a cool company! They sent me a thick catalog that recommends, "best viewed while sipping tea.") To learn about the health benefits of amla, I recommend watching this NutritionFacts.org video: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/amla-versus-cancer-cell-growth/   

I was hoping it'd be a summer of seitan. But I found that seitan-making often involves a steamer, which is hard to fire up on hot days. And it doesn't photo that appetizingly, especially the sausages from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch. See below.  


No comments: