Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Vegan on the Cheap for May

My library hold has arrived for the May VegCookbook Club selection, Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson. The first recipe that I have made from this cookbook is an affordable and simple one. This recipe also appears for free, on Robin Robertson's Global Vegan Kitchen website.
Penne-Wise Peanutty Pasta  
Although this was a budget dish, it tasted rich and decadent. First you prepare an easy Asian-style peanut sauce, with peanut butter and silken tofu. I subbed almond milk for the soy milk and added extra garlic and red pepper flakes. Next you cook your whole-wheat penne and veggies.

I wasn't a fan of the cooking method for the broccoli and carrots. I worry that boiling them in the pasta water loses some nutrients. However it is quick trick, for when you are short on time, as well as money. For garnish I used more green onions instead of herbs and extra peanuts. I liked this dish but thought it could be tweaked. Maybe you could use less peanut butter too?

No comments: