Monday, June 18, 2012

Gunny Sack at Founding Farmers

It's been over a year since I visited DC's Founding Farmers at 1924 Pennsylvania Avenue. I know because a friend gave me a gift certificate that was burning a hole in my wallet. Luckily, I cashed it in for lunch last week. This Founding Farmers location is a nice lunch spot, especially if you arrive early to beat the rush. However, the acoustics are bad regardless of the crowd.
For lunch, I had the gunny sack, from their meatless menu. This dish is definitely not something I could make at home. (I've got phyllo phobia). The sack itself was flaky, filled with roasted veggies (I counted chickpeas, olives, golden raisins, peppers, onions, and artichoke hearts), and topped with a tart tomato sauce that contrasted nicely with the savory stuff. The side spinach was great; garlicky with a preserved lemon for extra citrus kick. Overall, it was a rich, veggie power lunch. I'll have to return to Founding Farmers again to check out the rest of their vegan offerings.  Next time I won't wait a year.    

No comments: