Thursday, May 31, 2012

Summer Seitan: Black Bean Burgers from Veganomicon

This hot summer I want to experiment with some seitan recipes.  I've played around with vital wheat gluten before, with limited success.  My natural food store in Baltimore, OK Natural Foods, is currently stocking the Arrowhead Mills brand.  I'm eager to try different brands, as well as commercially prepared seitan.

Here is a photo of my first experiment: the black bean burgers from Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. The burgers are not exactly classic "seitan," but the use of wheat gluten in the recipe makes for an interesting texture.  This burger tasted better than it looks here. Although, if I make this recipe again, I'll probably add more spices. The condiments (ketchup, mustard, and chili garlic sauce) helped to add flavor. Plus, I piled on arugula and some sauteed veggies (garlic, onions, and mushrooms). Next time, I vow to use hearty, substantial buns, not soft sliced bread (so messy!).

No comments: